Wednesday, August 26, 2009

In the beginning.

This is where it all started.
A 4x3 seed starter container in a windowsill. Not really sure if I had done it correctly or not. By 'done it correctly' I mean seeded the tomatoes from the previous year. You see these seeds were not purchased from a store, rather they were given to me in the form of a tomato the year before.

My wife's uncle had passed away and just before he did he had given me some beefsteak heirloom tomatoes. At least that is what he called them therefore I do not plan on changing the name, even if it might be incorrect. I have always been interested in the process of growing food. Especially from start to finish.

I used Google to search 'How to seed a Tomato and found many results. I picked one and followed the directions. Only I had to wait, from the day I seeded them until the day I planted them to find out if I had done the seeding process correctly. I am not the most patient person so, those 6ish month were a killer. Finally, the time to sow the seeds came. It was around January and I placed 3-4 seeds per slot, added water and covered. Then I had to wait again.


Looking back 2 years ago now, I do not recall how long it took. Success!! I did it correct and up came my first tomatoes grown from seeds that I had taken from a tomato.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment